BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, August 31, 2009

As requested - Beef Stew

Okay I didn't take any pictures of this one. I will next time though and repost it so you can see it through it's stages.

Ingredients

Stew Meat or a chuck steak cut into chunks
Tomato Paste
Onion
Garlic
Carrots - I used the baby ones so I wouldn't have to peel them
Potatoes
Thyme
Bay leaves
any other spices you like
flour
red wine vinegar - this is my secret ingredient.

Heat a bit of oil in the bottom of your stew pot. Brown off the meat. You don't have to cook it through. Reserve it on a plate for a bit later.

In the same oil add the onion that has been cut up (how ever you want to cut it will work) and two whole cloves of garlic that have been smashed (if you buy garlic minced in a jar it will work too, just don't add it until the next step to keep it from burning).

When that has cooked down a bit add about a half a can of tomato paste. Stir to get it all incorporated. Then add carrots and potatoes. Stirring a bit to get them all coated with the oil and tomato paste.

Sprinkle some flour over the veggies, I probably used 1/3 to 1/2 a cup in mine. Stir and let it cook (keep stirring) for a few minutes to get the flour tasted to go away. Then add beef broth. You can also used water with bouillon or beef stock. I used about 2 quarts or so. Make sure it covers everything by at least an inch or so.

Add a couple of of bay leaves, some thyme, salt, pepper, and whatever else you like in beef stew. I added marjoram to mine as well. Return beef and all the juice that has come out back into the stew pot.

DON"T panic. I know it is very thin. The idea is to cook it low and slow for several hours. Make sure to stir occasionally. After that period of time it should be nice and stew like. About 10 mins before you serve it add about 3 T of red wine vinegar. I know it is weird but it adds a great depth of flavor.

Happy Eating!!

1 comments:

Cyndisproject365 said...

Thank you Jeanne!! I'll definitely be making this!