BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, May 24, 2009

How to make juicy, tender pork chops....

I was asked the other day how I made my pork chops. My friend was telling me that her pork chops always come out tough and dry. She knows there has to be a better way. Yes, yes there is. I have two solutions for all you struggling to chew your chops.

First you could always cook your pork chops low and slow. This is a tried and true method for tender fall apart meat. One of my favorite ways to use the low and slow method is withe crockpot. Take boneless pork chops, cover them in cream of whatever soup and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Tender, tender.

My newest method for insuring that my chops are juicy and tender is by using a brine. I can hear it now. Aww that is too much trouble. I won't have the ingredients. I don't know how. No it's not. Yes you do and of course I will tell you how.

A brine is simply a salt water solution. I use water, salt, onions, garlic, peppercorns, and herbs. Basically you throw it all in a big bowl. Use at least 1/4 cup of salt and 2 quarts of water, the herbs you like (rosemary and thyme work well), thinly sliced onion, a couple of cloves smashed garlic, and a few peppercorns. Add your raw pork chops and refrigerate at least 24 hours. Two days would be better. When you check on your chops after the brining process you will find that they have plumbed up a bit. They have soaked in the water, taking in all the flavor you have added to it. Then you can cook as you usually would.

Keep your eyes peeled. When I next brine porkchops, or chicken for that matter, I will post it as a recipe of the week. Happy eating.

0 comments: